Sunday 28 September 2014

Dirty Burger

With so much planned during my time in London I wasn't able to fit in all the burgers I wanted. In an attempt to, I found out that Dirty Burger were open bright and early at 9am and could be found in various locations around London (Whitechaple, Vauxhall, Shoreditch, & Kentish Town. They also have a store in Chicago!). A little out of the way for my day but closest to where I was staying I opted to visit the Kentish Town store, so I woke up early and made the trip on the tube up there to see if they'd offer me a burger at 9am. What better way to start the day?

I knew this place was a bit more hidden than some other restaurants, and without the steel bin on the corner of a side street I'd have probably walked past it. 

Bin sign
Head towards the bin and around the corner and you see, leaning onto the back of another restaurant, hidden away under the fire escape is a small corrugated metal building. Through the fire escape bars you can just about see the "Dirty Burger" sign. It's different I'll give it that. 

It's in there somewhere
Different
As you can imagine, at 9am on a Sunday morning in a little London town, a burger restaurant isn't too busy so I didn't have to wait or anything. I'd tweeted them about a week before to ask if they served burgers first thing in the morning to no reply so just thought I'd head down there and risk it. 

Entering the little building there's a high level wooden table around the perimeter and a centre breakfast bar type table in the middle of the room. To the left is the kitchen built into the back of the other restaurant. 

"Rustic" interior

"Rustic" interior
No real need for artificial light I suppose. May be the little bit of heating though

The staff were friendly for this time on a Sunday morning (can't imagine I'd be that friendly at work at that time on a Sunday). I asked if they served burgers but as soon as I looked up at the menu it became clear the answer would be no, not until 11am. A little disappointing that they didn't reply on social media to answer this for me, but I was there now so I'd sample their breakfast menu instead. Simple enough menu, either a sausage and egg or a bacon and egg sandwich including bottomless tea or coffee for £4. 

The Menu
There are fresh doughnuts to the side of the window into the kitchen too if you have a sweet tooth for breakfast. I settled for the sausage and egg sandwich though. 

Fresh made doughnuts

I'd barely opened a complimentary paper before they called me back over for my breakfast sandwich. It looked a bit empty on a tray on it's own but it towered high enough in it's wrapping. 

Wrapped breakfast

Opening the wrapping let out a great smell of sausage and egg. If I was disappointed with having to settle for breakfast before I was quickly coming around to the idea now. 

Sausage & Egg Sandwich (£4.00)
Between the small brioche bun looked like a simple fried egg atop a sausage patty. It wasn't until I took a bite that I realised there was more to this that met the eye. A little lick of BBQ sauce seemed to have been smeered onto the bottom bun and the egg had been peppered for flavour. 

Peppered egg

The sausage patty was a little thin but good quality and well cooked. No gristle or obvious fatty parts as can be the case with sausages. The sausage meat was well seasoned with herbs and mustard seeds. Gave it a really great taste! The cracked pepper on the egg also really helped this little bun pack a morning punch! 

Half gone 
Runny Egg on well Seasoned Sausage Patty
The combination of the barbecue sauce and the runny egg yolk meant that this wasn't too easy to eat without slopping down yourself. However hard I tried! 

It was all worth it though. 

I soon realised what the sink was located in the eating area for, as my hands were a real mess after eating this. 

Wash up point

Conclusion


After initially being disappointed at not being able to grab the burger I'd hoped for I was pleasantly surprised with a great breakfast sandwich, which although may not look much for a meal, tied me over until lunch time. For a mere £4 it was very impressive and I'd definitely consider going out of my way again for this breakfast as it beats most other fast food breakfasts I've had before. In fact I'd prefer it over most greasy spoons! 

The venue is a little difficult to find and I don't imagine it's too great to spend much time in there in the cold depths of winter when it's wet, cold and windy outside. It's probably a bit draughty. 

My only criticism for Dirty Burger is their lack of social media communication. It would have been good to know I wasn't going to be able to get a burger, there again, if I hadn't tried I wouldn't have sampled such a great breakfast, so fries and potatoes I suppose! 

Meat Rating: 8/10

Money for Meat: Paid in Full


No comments :

Post a Comment